STAR WARS™ Knights of the Old Republic™

STAR WARS™ Knights of the Old Republic™

VeryLastKiss Dec 27, 2017 @ 7:16am
Windows 10 SWKOTOR Steam Fix
This post provides instructions for getting Start Wars Knights of the Old Republic to run on Windows 10.

- This solution only knowingly applies to the Steam version. Other versions I am not aware of how to fix.
- This solution only knowingly applies to Windows 10.
- WIndows 11 does not seem to need this solution and it seems natively compatible "out of the box". If you have any issues on WIndows 11, then you may use these instructions to hopefully fix any issues.
- WARNING: To my knowledge, this game can ONLY run in windowed mode rather than full screen on Windows 10 on Steam.

Here are the instructions for the solution:

1. After you have the game installed, navigate to Steam -> steamapps -> common -> "SWKOTOR". This is the main game directory. Right click on "swkotor.exe", open properties, and go to the "Compatibility" tab. Check the box to run it in compatibility mode for "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)". Apply this setting and close the window.

2. Also in the main game directory, open "swkotor.ini". This is the configuration file for the game, and it should be located in the game directory.

3. Locate the following line in the notepad:
Fullscreen=1
and change it to:
Fullscreen=0

4. In the "[Graphics Options]" section of the same notepad file, add the following line:
AllowWindowedMode=1

5. Save and close the file.

6. Start the game (it will be windowed as directed). Navigate to Options -> Advanced Options. Disable "Frame Buffer Effects" and disable "Soft Shadows".

7. ENJOY!

Again, to avoid problems, you must play this game in windowed mode.
If you want to play this game full screen, then you would have to upgrade to Windows 11, or you'd have to play this game on Xbox/Xbox One or Windows XP/Windows Vista.

Credit for Fix goes to: Mivijm
I simply went further in detail and made it look nicer with a new thread for others to easily see.
Merry Christmas!
Last edited by VeryLastKiss; Jan 1 @ 11:42am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 38 comments
unknown Dec 27, 2017 @ 9:25am 
o meu abriu em modo janela so que quando inicio o jogo ele fala "parou de funcionar" meu pc atende aos requesitos do game tranquilamente ja fiz de tudo e nao resolvo nunca me ajude pvf estou muito acioso para jogar o game!!!!!!!!
unknown Dec 27, 2017 @ 9:28am 
meu windows e o 10 pirata ativado tudo certinho msm assim da o erro parou de funcionar
Last edited by unknown; Dec 27, 2017 @ 9:56am
MandoMigz Dec 27, 2017 @ 5:50pm 
I tried all of the above, and mine pretends to launch, but nothing ever happens. It shows running as a background app.
GeKs_TGG Dec 27, 2017 @ 9:40pm 
Originally posted by MandoMigz:
I tried all of the above, and mine pretends to launch, but nothing ever happens. It shows running as a background app.

yeah mine does that as well, running it in compatibility mode in win 98/Me will get it to open up but after the character creation the game crashes or it becomes unplayable, i haven been able to figure out a fix
avidnarutofan Dec 28, 2017 @ 2:02am 
This works! Thank you very much!!! I can now play the game past the endar spire. Will it obviously doesnt cover fullscreen, all that matters is that I can play it again.
MandoMigz Dec 28, 2017 @ 5:43am 
Originally posted by TheGamingGEKKO:
Originally posted by MandoMigz:

yeah mine does that as well, running it in compatibility mode in win 98/Me will get it to open up but after the character creation the game crashes or it becomes unplayable, i haven been able to figure out a fix

I haven't been able to figure out a fix either, and I've tried everything I could find online. I'm guessing the problem is because it's windows 98/ME and it's optimized for XP. But I don't know how to fix it.
VeryLastKiss Jan 2, 2018 @ 8:30pm 
Im assuming you have the steam version. I have the steam version of the game running on my ASUS laptop windows 10 following these exact instructions. I suggest just uninstalling and reinstalling the game and just follow the instructions i listed from scratch. IF that doesnt work... idk what to do tbh unless you google "SWKOTOR background app fix" or something like that
StuGotz Feb 10, 2020 @ 4:07pm 
You can play fullscreen. After you load the game and you're in the story, press ALT + ENTER
General Hawk Feb 11, 2020 @ 4:00pm 
Thank you worked perfectly including fullscreen!
smallturns Apr 5, 2020 @ 12:52pm 
So if I do all that every part of the game will work properly even the display driver because right now even-though the game is still functioning like it should some of the characters dialog are not appearing or it's taking slow for their dialog box to pop up at the bottom of the screen unless it's my computer making Kotor run kind-of sluggish again because of a virus I need to remove somehow?
VeryLastKiss Apr 7, 2020 @ 5:59pm 
Originally posted by smallturns:
So if I do all that every part of the game will work properly even the display driver because right now even-though the game is still functioning like it should some of the characters dialog are not appearing or it's taking slow for their dialog box to pop up at the bottom of the screen unless it's my computer making Kotor run kind-of sluggish again because of a virus I need to remove somehow?

I have not played KOTOR in a long time and I don't currently have it installed, but I don't remember coming across that issue. I also have a different computer now since I made this post. Obviously, I don't know how bad it is, but the worst case scenario is you could continue playing that way anyways.

I'd suggest reinstalling it and ensure you follow the steps in order all over again (not saying you did something wrong, but let's be honest, just because you download/install something doesn't mean it downloaded/installed correctly.)

I know in short I just said "deal with it" but I really don't know the answer lol. Hopefully a redownload helps you. Regardless, I think it would be worth playing even with that relatively small issue because it really is an amazing game.

Good luck.
smallturns Apr 12, 2020 @ 10:29pm 
I'm sorry if this is off the subject and you don't half to answer it as it's probably none of my business anyway what gender you are but just by realizing what your username said's now are you a girl or a boy and when I say that I don't actually mean a child like in your earlier teens VeryLastKiss I mean it doesn't really matter to me because either way I agree with you the game is excuse me for sweating ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ awesome in my opinion even with the characters dialog still appearing slower then usual after picking a response choice again after reinstalling it two or 3 times already?
VeryLastKiss Apr 19, 2020 @ 6:42am 
Originally posted by smallturns:
I'm sorry if this is off the subject and you don't half to answer it as it's probably none of my business anyway what gender you are but just by realizing what your username said's now are you a girl or a boy and when I say that I don't actually mean a child like in your earlier teens VeryLastKiss I mean it doesn't really matter to me because either way I agree with you the game is excuse me for sweating ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ awesome in my opinion even with the characters dialog still appearing slower then usual after picking a response choice again after reinstalling it two or 3 times already?
Not gonna lie, that is really hard to read and understand what you said, lol. I'm a dude.

I've had to reinstall countless things because they didn't install correctly over the years. Granted it's uncommon, but I've had to do it over the years.
AkielaXal Apr 19, 2020 @ 6:48pm 
I have the steam version running Windows 10 on an ASUS laptop. I've tried all the steps listed above and the game still crashes after character setup. Shame, because I really loved this game on my XP and Vista computers. Haven't been able to play it since due to compatibility issues. I've found a version that will run on my Kindle, but it's so small and not easy to play without a keyboard/mouse combo.
VeryLastKiss Apr 24, 2020 @ 9:12pm 
Originally posted by AkielaXal:
I have the steam version running Windows 10 on an ASUS laptop. I've tried all the steps listed above and the game still crashes after character setup. Shame, because I really loved this game on my XP and Vista computers. Haven't been able to play it since due to compatibility issues. I've found a version that will run on my Kindle, but it's so small and not easy to play without a keyboard/mouse combo.
That really sucks. I haven't played it in a long time and I don't have my laptop anymore. I'm sure it would work on my new PC.

Im sure you've probably tried it, but you could try other compatibility modes and/or make the program run as an administrator. Different combinations of things can surprisingly work, which can vary between computers. For example, I don't remember the combination specifically, but I got Diablo 1 running on my Windows 10 computer in like Windows XP compatibility and run as administrator, Which is weird because it should of worked with WIndows 95 and it didn't.

As much of a jackass I might sound, but you could buy a new computer as an upgrade or whenever you can and it may work on a different PC. I know the world is falling apart, but if you have spare cash it might not be a bad idea and your money might help businesses. Your library never changes.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 38 comments
Per page: 1530 50